First Congregational United Church of Christ is committed to being loving neighbors with our neighborhood and community. We house the Boys & Girls Club in our building where dozens of children gather every day after school and throughout the summer. We are partners with Johnson Elementary Steam Academy, located across the street as well as hosting cookouts for our neighbors in the summer.
Throughout the year, we organize special collections and participate in special projects as a way of partnering with local agencies and groups to improve our city and share God’s love., including:
- Community Free Health Clinic: We collect clean, used prescription bottles for reuse by the clinic staff.
- Linn Community Food Bank program at First Presbyterian Church: We support the food bank with a special offering once a month and with groceries donated by our members.
- Wellington House: We collect personal care products for clients.
- Westover Manor: We partner with Hope United Church of Christ in Hiawatha to co-sponsor a Christmas party for residents of this senior housing center,
- First Congregational also provides financial support to Helping Hands Ministry, a local non—profit agency that distributes funds and offers referrals to people in need, the Ecumenical Center, Community Health Free Clinic, Linn Community Food Bank, Willis Dady Men’s Shelter, Waypoint, Mission of Hope, and Family Promise of Linn County, and other local agencies and non-profits. Church members also are independently involved in community outreach through service to many established organizations, including Habitat for Humanity, Wellington Heights Neighborhood Association, Churches United, and Variety Club.